[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead
The Gotwind Forum • View topic - 3 AM diversion load - me!

3 AM diversion load - me!

<<

tecon

Junior

Post Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am

My brain dont work good to begin with, less so a

My brain dont work good to begin with, less so at 3 AM.

Spur of the moment working experiment, two weeks ago set up one of my Ametek 38vs to charge a 6v 220ah battery set (2x110ah). Not as 12v but as 6v to run a few small 6v fluorescents as well as a 6v AM/FM/shortwave.

Nothing big, just small non-dedicated loads, the experiment is only using the 38v to keep it charged, no pv - at least through the winter months.

I didnt put alot of thought into the setup (note the 3AM), but things were working as hoped. Every couple days we seem to get some decent winds here, at least enough to get a charge in.

2 days ago, strong winds and an average of 6.8v - cool I thought, nice matched setup.

Last night somewhere after midnight the winds picked up enough to make the house creak. Voltage was 6.24 when I went to bed. Thought I better check; at about 1:30AM 6.60v doing fine, but the wind just sounded like it was getting stronger.

Went back to bed and kinda dozed off. Somthing woke me up again at 3 AM - most likely the wind. Best see whats happening - bouncing between 7.1v and 7.3v, wind not slowing.

So here is the lack of planning, no diversion - I under rated the 38v in 30mph winds, I also have no way to quickly offload amps from the 6v like I can from the 12v setup.

My non-working brain at 3 AM, I could have simply just disconnected the from the 6v and placed the connection on my 12v setup which would have been fine.

A little frustrated with myself, I got dressed, went out and tipped the pole (its only 12 feet up) easy up, easy down. Removed the gen and layed it on the ground.

Looks like I rig a diversion for it today - live and learn silly me.

tired Tim
<<

gotwind

Senior

Sounds like you got away with it Tim.
Ghurds

Sounds like you got away with it Tim.
Ghurds controler would probably work for you at 6 volts (I think).

Ben.
<<

tecon

Junior

I looked on ghurds site Ben, I think he just offe

I looked on ghurds site Ben, I think he just offers a 12v and 24v version?

Would have made things much easier last night for sure!

Tim
<<

ghurd

Senior

It could be hacked over to 6V, fairly easy. I th

It could be hacked over to 6V, fairly easy. I think.

My opinion is flooded batteries are fine at 7.2V, even 7.3V for a while.
Some people equalize at 7.75 for 2 hours.
I recommend setting the 12V controllers for 14.4V.
G-
<<

tecon

Junior

sent you a pm ghurd, thanks

Tim

sent you a pm ghurd, thanks

Tim

Return to Archive (Read only, Locked)