New Forum

<<

Hefhoover

Junior

Post Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am

Hi Ben, hows the new forum getting along?
L

Hi Ben, hows the new forum getting along?
Looking forwards to seeing it.

Hef
<<

gotwind

Senior

Just days away Hef,
Its looking and functio

Just days away Hef,
Its looking and functioning great, much better than this one.

We will be bulk emailing all the members early next week.
There will be a simple procedure to register onto the new forum, basically keeping your own username, but adding a new password (which you will be able to change afterwards).

This allows all the old archived posts from here to be connected to the original poster on the new forum, bit tricky to explain.

It has been quite difficult to scrape all 9769 Posts from here, these free forum hosts dont make it easy, but weve managed it.

Ben.
<<

Hefhoover

Junior

Woo hoo, nice one.
Im sure all the hard wor

Woo hoo, nice one.
Im sure all the hard work will be worth it, all the best.

Hef
<<

Fish4Fun

Junior

now that its almost done....wish you had asked, a

now that its almost done....wish you had asked, automation would have been fairly easy; I have most of the code already written for navigating web pages and extracting the text. :-( I have had to code my way around several sites that were specifically designed to avoid just that, including an HTTPS site ;-) The trick is to write a "generic parser" that can handle the various types of input that you can extract from the clear text. Once you automate the recovery of the clear text, parsing it into the proper fields and porting the data to mysql is not so difficult. But I am sure you have been doing it "the old fashion" way.....CP by hand. Lol! Godbless your devotion Ben! I would have spent six weeks designing a way to do it in 6 minutes rather than spend four weeks "doing it by hand", but I am just like that, lol.

I look very forward to visiting your new site!

Fish
<<

gotwind

Senior

Hi Fish.
We did find a method of automation

Hi Fish.
We did find a method of automation in a similar way to the one you explain above,
It took 2 full days to work out, I am commited to the forum, but not mad, I wouldnt have manually moved everything

Shouldnt be long now.

Ben.

Return to Archive (Read only, Locked)