Home built turbine using 36v bicycle hub

<<

Andycap

Post Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am

Hi all.

I have been lurking for quite

Hi all.

I have been lurking for quite a while on here, grabbing loads of useful information so that I could build my own turbine.

Well I have built one and used a 36v 200w geared brushed front wheel bicycle motor for the generator. I ran into a few problems along the way with blade sizes, I made 6 15" waste pipe blades but found that the mill would hardly turn due to having to overcome the internal gearbox in the motor. I next made 3 3 blades and had a little more success with those, although still needing quite strong wind to turn the mill.

I have now added another 3 3 blades to give me a 6 blade 6 prop and things have improved alot.

I live in Cannock close to Cannock Chase Staffordshire, right in the town so do struggle with getting clean wind. I have got a good clean path wsw, sw and west, so can take advantage of some of the wind directions.

My setup consists of a total of 30w in solar panels, 3 40ah sla mobility scooter batteries wired in parallel to give me a 120ah 12v system, I have a 4amp charge controller for the solar and have that and the mill running through a Watts up meter.

The mill is producing power in the gusts and last Saturday i saw a peak of 12.7 amps from the mill.

I have been wondering if i need to build a charge controller for the turbine and have a dump load. Any advice any of you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a flickr link to some pictures that i have taken. http://www.flickr.com/photos/29666566@N03/

I have also got a weather station online at http://weather2.andyn.net if anyone is interested in weather aswell.

Cheers. Andy.
<<

Andycap

Very nice project .. where did you get the motor

Very nice project .. where did you get the motor from?
<<

Andycap

Hi Fungus.

Thanks, I got the motor off

Hi Fungus.

Thanks, I got the motor off the wonderful world of Ebay. It came as a full 26" front wheel, so I removed the rim and spokes and made the blade hub out of 12mm marine ply and mounted it using the motor front cover mounting points (8 m5 bolts)

This auction is the same wheel and motor as mine, same seller aswell. Wheels usually go for around £50-£60

Item number: 220271009519

Cheers. Andy.
<<

Victor

Senior

Looks like the front hub off an electric bike whi

Looks like the front hub off an electric bike which tend to be around 36volts. If that is the case the turbine will put out a good voltage in low winds.
<<

Andycap

Hi Victor.

Yes it is a front hub motor

Hi Victor.

Yes it is a front hub motor at 36v. I will try and set up my spare bike computer on it this weekend and see what it is actually producing at a range of rpm. It does get upto cut in voltage very quickly (possibly to early) looks like about 80-100 rpm to cut in speed, although I could be wrong.

Cheers. Andy.
<<

gotwind

Senior

Great work Andy.
Can you explain a bit more

Great work Andy.
Can you explain a bit more about how you got your weather stats online, in real time?
pretty impressive, is it relativly straight forward with the right software?

I have a Ventus wireless weather station.

Ben.
<<

Andycap

Hi Ben.

First off you need a weather s

Hi Ben.

First off you need a weather station that will connect to PC, not sure if yours does or not. I use a piece of software called Weather Display and the online part is called Weather Display Live. The software is not too badly priced, although if you get the main software and you can do Flash, you could write your own live part. I have written a small Windows Mobile Flash version to use on my PDA/Phone and it works great.

My weather station is a WS2300 wireless, I also have some 1 wire devices that I use with the software.

The software can be downloaded from http://www.weather-display.com/index.php and there is a 30 day demo version and also a free linux version.

I built a small 1 wire interface to measure my battery state from my solar and wind turbine, on the live page it is the Solar Power Meter. At 90% my batteries are fully charged and anything above is float charge, 100% = 14v on the batteries.

Hope this helps.

Cheers. Andy.
<<

gotwind

Senior

Thanks Andy.
I will pass this on to our web

Thanks Andy.
I will pass this on to our web guys.
Interesting stuff, well done.

Ben.
<<

gholt

Hello Andycap,

Hello Andycap,

quote:
I have been wondering if i need to build a charge controller for the turbine and have a dump load. Any advice any of you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Contact either Fungus or Ghurd about Ghurds dumpload-charge-controller. Its dirt cheap, easy to build and works!

Theres also some other fellow on this forum who makes and sells them - although optix-something is as close as I can remember to his nick, and that may be way off the mark - my apologies to opti-whatever-your-name-is ... sigh.

G.
<<

Andycap

Hi Gholt.

Thanks for the info, I will

Hi Gholt.

Thanks for the info, I will have a look at Ghurds controller, I have built a quick and dirty controller that starts dumping when the battery level gets to 13.8v. I have a 12v 55w car headlight bulb connected to it at the moment to take some of the excess current, I may need to find something else though because today has been quite windy (19mph gusts) and I have recorded a peak of 14.29A or 213.6w from the turbine and the headlight bulb has been on and off all day.

I only have 120ah storage at the moment and I am hoping to increase this sometime this week funds permitting.

I am very pleased with the performance of the turbine so far and quite supprised to see a peak of 213.6 watts on the Watts Up meter, my weather station only recorded a peak gust speed of 19mph and a maximum average of 17.3mph.

I wonder what output other people are getting in built up areas.

Andy.
Next

Return to Archive (Read only, Locked)