[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead
The Gotwind Forum • View topic - How to connect a wind max turbine up?

How to connect a wind max turbine up?

<<

puddingbag

Post Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:24 pm

How to connect a wind max turbine up?

I wonder If I can ask for some advice? I hope this does not sound silly

I have got a wind max wind turbine 1kw from ebay about two year ago and didn't have time to set it up, until now.

The only problem is it did not come with any instructions. So don't know what I need to get for it, to get it working

My plan is to grid tie it. I was thinking I might need to get a controller and a 1200watt grid tie inverter but to be honest im now guessing what I need to do. I don't want batteries.

Any advice would be most helpful

Tim
<<

Fish4Fun

Junior

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:17 am

Re: How to connect a wind max turbine up?

Tim,

Here is a link to the windmax 1kw unit currently offered:

http://www.greenpower4less.com/windmax_004.htm

With grid tie there are two options:

1) Hire a licensed professional to design and complete the installation to comply with local and national safety standards and codes.

2) Buy a "Grey Market" device that is likely NOT going to comply with electrical codes and significantly increase the chances of reducing your edifice to a smoldering pile of ashes.

This is an example of the "Grey Market" devices:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1200W-GRID-TIE-INVE ... 2309d028ea

Please Note: I have not seen a serious review of any of the devices of this type; they are almost certainly in violation of numerous electrical codes, and, in my opinion, are not likely based on sound design principals. Devices of this type will NOT run any standard, modern electric meter "backwards", and are quite likely to generate a great deal of "noise" that may or may not disrupt or damage devices in your home. I say these things despite the sellers assertions to the contrary, and I could be wrong, but in my experience, "If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck and flies like a duck, likely it is a duck."

Fish
<<

microgreen

Junior

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:54 am

Re: How to connect a wind max turbine up?

Fish4Fun wrote: Devices of this type will NOT run any standard, modern electric meter "backwards", and are quite likely to generate a great deal of "noise" that may or may not disrupt or damage devices in your home.

Fish

Its probably worth adding that even a fully G83/1 (UK regs) compliant grid tie inverter will NOT run a standard modern electric meter backwards.

I have just recieved one of the 300W Powerjack GTIs from Ebay, I have yet to try it out but will provide feedback for anyone who might be considering buying one.

If anyone has any specific questions regarding the unit, or would like me to perform any specific tests then I'm happy to do so provided I am confident that it is safe to do so.

Return to DIY Power generation